Driving in Europe Useful Information

If you're going to be driving in Europe make sure your car documents are in order and up to date as you may be asked to produce these by police at any time.

Here's a list of documents you should carry with you if you're driving your own car:

  • - A valid, full driving licence (with paper counterpart if you have a photo-card licence)
  • - An IDP or International Driving Permit, if necessary
  • - The original vehicle registration document
  • - Your motor insurance certificate
  • - Your passport (and visa, if applicable)

Remember, it's your responsibility to have all the documentation required by immigration, customs, health and other officials.

Hired or Borrowed Vehicles

When driving in Europe in a hired vehicle, it's recommended that you have the original vehicle registration document with you, or else obtain a Vehicle on Hire certificate (known as the VE103b). Admiral Self Drive Van & Minibus Hire will provide this for you.

If you're travelling in a borrowed car, obtain a letter of authorisation from the owner.

Breakdown Cover

In case of breakdown, make sure you have adequate cover. AA or RAC European Breakdown Cover provides cover for most European countries.

Emergency Contact Number

Dial the emergency call number 112 if you have an accident or need any emergency assistance.

Travel Insurance

Make sure you have adequate travel insurance to cover any medical costs you might incur should you be involved in an accident.


  • - Don't leave items like laptops, cameras, wallets and handbags lying on the car seats, even when you're in the car, and never leave anything in an unattended car.
  • - For advice on personal safety or crime in specific countries, visit the Foreign Office web site at www.fco.gov.uk
  • - If you drink, don't drive. European laws are strict and the penalties harsh.
  • - Remember, in Europe you drive on the RIGHT. It's easy to forget this when entering a roundabout or leaving a petrol station or a car park. Keep your wits about you and think 'right'.
  • - In most European countries it's compulsory to carry at least two reflective jackets in your vehicle – to be worn in emergencies or breakdowns


Pick up a van

Ford Transit Connect / Combo Style Van
Get a quote

Transit Type Van
Get a quote

Hi-Top Long Wheelbase Van
Get a quote

Mercedes 311CDi Long Wheelbase High Top Van
Get a quote

Large Luton Van With & Without Tail Lift
Get a quote

Ford Transit 3.5 Tonne GVW Dropside Flatbed Pick Up
Get a quote

Mercedes Sprinter/Ford Transit 3.5T Extra Long. Dropside Flatbed Pick Up
Get a quote

Jumbo Dropwell Luton Van
Get a quote

7.5 Tonne 20ft Box Van With 1 Tonne Tail Lift
Get a quote

Ford Transit Economy 6 or 7 Seater
Get a quote

Ford Transit Economy 9 Seater Crew / Band Van / Minibus
Get a quote

9 Seater Mercedes LWB Vito Traveliner
Get a quote

17 Seater Minibus
Get a quote

7.5 Tonne 24ft Dropwell Luton Removal Type Pantechnicon
Get a quote

Man/Mercedes/Iveco 7.5 Tonne 20ft Curtainside
Get a quote

Van Hire Terms & Conditions